I’ve been sick this week, and finally after five days I feel like I may be ready to rejoin the land of the living (maybe). I make for a terrible sick person, and I really should be ashamed that a cold has reduced me to the whiny, wallowing mess I’ve become. Nevertheless, here are five little things that have lifted me out of my misery this week.
- Vernor’s Ginger Ale – Not Canada Dry or Seagrams or whatever other ick you want to pass off as ginger ale. Give me that Michigan original to cure what ails me.
- Nyquil and Ibuprofen – If I were giving an Academy Awards speech, Nyquil would be like my publicist and Ibuprofen would be my agent… the Vernor’s would be my long-suffering husband? I dunno, I may still be under the influence of said publicist.
- Kleenex tissues – Seriously. Those good 3-ply, aloe laden Kleenex brand tissues… there is nothing worse than a cheap box of tissues when you are sick. You know what I’m talking about.
- Fluffy pillows, fluffy blankets, and fluffy socks. I demand everything be fluffy. I don’t even have to be sick for that. I’m like Jennifer Garner in 13 Going on 30, “I want a fluffy pillow!”
- The knowledge that I could actually take the time to be sick. In all sincerity, let me give you some inside info on teachers… they can’t take time to be sick. It takes more work for a teacher to take a day off (or God forbid, multiple days off) than it does just to go to work and suffer. Dragging myself to work to prepare plans and copies for a substitute is not something I have missed this week, neither was going to work wrangling ten year olds and suffering because I couldn’t afford to take any more days off. The time to rest and recoup without thought to anyone or anything else has been a huge relief and I’m so thankful for that.
What things do you need to stave off misery when you are sick?