I found this recipe a few years ago when I was just craving a really good blueberry muffin one night. This recipe is really simple to make and delicious to eat.
1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
3/4 cup of granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon of salt
2 teaspoons of baking powder
1/3 cup of applesauce or coconut oil (The original recipe calls for vegetable oil here, but I always substitute with one of the above.)
1/3 cup of milk
6 oz. container of blueberries (around one cup)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease muffin cups or line with muffin liners.
- Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, 3/4 cup sugar, salt and baking powder. I put these in my stand mixer and start combining.
- . Place coconut oil (or your replacement) into a 1 cup measuring cup; add the egg and enough milk to fill the cup. Mix this with flour mixture. Fold in blueberries.
- Fill muffin cups right to the top, and sprinkle with the optional crumb topping mixture (see below).
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until done.
- I use a 12-muffin pan and get a full dozen. If you make larger or smaller muffins, then the quantity will be different, but equally as delicious.
- This recipe could also work with other types of berries.
Optional: If you want to make a bakery-style muffin, you can add on this crumb topping: Mix together 1/2 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, 1/4 cup butter, and 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon. Mix with fork, and sprinkle over muffins before baking.