I spend my life in front of flickering screens, for both work and personal amusement, so yesterday I had a screen-free day and it was so nice! At the end of the day my contacts weren’t bothering me and I slept better – that in itself was like having a mini-vacation!
I spent my day immersed in the beloved world of Harry Potter. The Cursed Child has been waiting on my nightstand all week for me to dive in – I’m envious of all you Londoners who have already seen the play! After that I was feeling so nostalgic that I reread The Sorcerer’s Stone and then started on The Chamber of Secrets. A day well spent, I think. There are some things that I hope to never outgrow or out-age like legos, coloring books, and Harry Potter. Those things give me such immense, child-like joy that I think we would all be better to have more of in our lives.
What’s something that you hope to never out-grow? Leave me a comment below!
Hello, beautiful people!
The full force of summer heat has finally hit and it’s hard to find any enjoyment in it when there’s no pool to retreat to during the day! I’m an air-conditioning dweller for sure, so here are a few things keeping me happy and occupied during the heat…
- Leslie Odom Jr. (AKA Hamilton’s Aaron Burr) released a jazz album last month that I cannot get enough of – I’ve been listening to it on repeat while I work during the day.
- The West Wing. I don’t know where I’ve been since 1999, but this show was and still is a work of genius. I’ve been binging on Netflix, and it’s so disturbingly relevant… relevant because the exact issues that were being discussed when the show came out are being debated today, and disturbing for the exact same reason… it’s also very witty.
- Plantation Mint Tea – I usually drink this tea hot, but I’ve been cold-brewing it for the summer and it is delicious. I actually think the extra spearmint flavor is brought out more when the tea is cold.
- I’m resolving to actually make more of the food that I like or pin, so I started with fellow WP blogger Inside Kel’s Kitchen. I made the Mushroom Ranch Potatoes as a side for some grilled pork chops last night and they were so yum!
- The youtube channel Bad Lip Reading did a bad lip reading of Disney’s High School Musical and honestly it was the funniest twenty minutes of a day that I’ve had in a while. My sister and I were all about that HSM when it came out.. which, BTW, was ten years ago… feeling so very old. You can watch it here.
- There’s an instagram account called The Revision Guide that gives tutorials on cute little drawings, doodles, and lettering, so check them out if you’re interested in learning how to do those things, but like me, have a lack of natural talent for it. 😉
What kinds of things are keeping you busy during these summer months in the Northern Hemisphere?
Hey everyone! It’s been a while, so I thought I’d jump back into the pool with some of the little things that are giving me joy right now.
- Hamilton: An American Musical – Hamilton all day, er’ry day. I am basically a one woman production. History, musical theatre, and rapid rapping in a French accent… what’s not to love? This one point could really be my whole list, but I’ll try to act less obsessed.
- Last weekend I went dancing with my sister and some of her friends and coworkers at the Queer Dance Party (QDP) in Nashville. So.Much.Fun. I have anxiety, so it’s not my scene… and I’m definitely not a skilled dancer, but it was so great just having fun in a judgement free zone while standing in solidarity with our LGBT friends and community.
- If you haven’t been here long, you may not know that I am a family history researcher (genealogist – but that sounds so stuffy). Basically, I’m a historical documents junkie who gets to fulfill a life-long dream of being Nancy Drew… I also get the opportunity to engage people in history and bring them joy when I find something that 1) they were looking for or 2) find something they never knew existed (even better!). It just makes me happy to be able to do that.
What’s giving you joy right now?