Hello, beautiful people!
The full force of summer heat has finally hit and it’s hard to find any enjoyment in it when there’s no pool to retreat to during the day! I’m an air-conditioning dweller for sure, so here are a few things keeping me happy and occupied during the heat…
- Leslie Odom Jr. (AKA Hamilton’s Aaron Burr) released a jazz album last month that I cannot get enough of – I’ve been listening to it on repeat while I work during the day.
- The West Wing. I don’t know where I’ve been since 1999, but this show was and still is a work of genius. I’ve been binging on Netflix, and it’s so disturbingly relevant… relevant because the exact issues that were being discussed when the show came out are being debated today, and disturbing for the exact same reason… it’s also very witty.
- Plantation Mint Tea – I usually drink this tea hot, but I’ve been cold-brewing it for the summer and it is delicious. I actually think the extra spearmint flavor is brought out more when the tea is cold.
- I’m resolving to actually make more of the food that I like or pin, so I started with fellow WP blogger Inside Kel’s Kitchen. I made the Mushroom Ranch Potatoes as a side for some grilled pork chops last night and they were so yum!
- The youtube channel Bad Lip Reading did a bad lip reading of Disney’s High School Musical and honestly it was the funniest twenty minutes of a day that I’ve had in a while. My sister and I were all about that HSM when it came out.. which, BTW, was ten years ago… feeling so very old. You can watch it here.
- There’s an instagram account called The Revision Guide that gives tutorials on cute little drawings, doodles, and lettering, so check them out if you’re interested in learning how to do those things, but like me, have a lack of natural talent for it. 😉
What kinds of things are keeping you busy during these summer months in the Northern Hemisphere?
Hey everyone! It’s been a while, so I thought I’d jump back into the pool with some of the little things that are giving me joy right now.
- Hamilton: An American Musical – Hamilton all day, er’ry day. I am basically a one woman production. History, musical theatre, and rapid rapping in a French accent… what’s not to love? This one point could really be my whole list, but I’ll try to act less obsessed.
- Last weekend I went dancing with my sister and some of her friends and coworkers at the Queer Dance Party (QDP) in Nashville. So.Much.Fun. I have anxiety, so it’s not my scene… and I’m definitely not a skilled dancer, but it was so great just having fun in a judgement free zone while standing in solidarity with our LGBT friends and community.
- If you haven’t been here long, you may not know that I am a family history researcher (genealogist – but that sounds so stuffy). Basically, I’m a historical documents junkie who gets to fulfill a life-long dream of being Nancy Drew… I also get the opportunity to engage people in history and bring them joy when I find something that 1) they were looking for or 2) find something they never knew existed (even better!). It just makes me happy to be able to do that.
What’s giving you joy right now?
I made it home from my unplugged week in sunny South Florida, and I have some cool things to share with you guys after I unpack my bags, collect my thoughts, and upload my photos.
As much as I love to travel, there is also something so great about home, sweet home. So here are my five little things inspired by coming home after traveling.
- My own bed. I am generally a fitful sleeper anyway, so you can imagine all those things being magnified in a strange bed when I travel, so there is nothing better than sleeping in your own familiar bed after having been away.
- The internet. The resort had the worst internet connection (talk about a first world-problem), and after I quite literally exhausted all my phone data for the month, I’m happy to be home where the Wi-fi is strong. 😉
- Puppy love. My pup is an excellent traveler, but on the occasions where he can’t go along, I miss his furry little face. He’s alway excited for love and snuggles when we get home, and then he has to ignore us for a while as punishment for not being allowed to go, too, followed (of course) by more love and snuggles.
- Quiet. One of the great things about traveling is being surrounded by people and noise, but it can also be one of the most draining. One of the best things about home is the quiet.
- Experiences. I can joke about the poor internet, scratchy sheets, or long car rides and airline delays, but I’m really very thankful for the time and the means to be able to travel and have new experiences. Travel can give you a lot of perspective, and it also makes having a home to return to even sweeter.